Monday, April 7, 2014

Whole 30? More like Whole 7..

I never thought that I could say that I went paleo. This is still such a weird thought to me! Kevin and I looked at some restaurants online to see their menu, and it was weird. We actually had to eliminate some places because they wouldn't be paleo friendly. To me this is a bizarre thought of crossing restaurants off the list because one, I love food. Love love love love love love love love food!
I'll let you in on a secret. I've loved cooking every since I was little, and that is all I have wanted to do. When I was in high school, I wanted to go to EVIT for culinary school, but it ended up not working out. 
I like to make things on my own. Tortillas? I'll make them myself. I was reading my new paleo recipe book, and one of the recipes required chicken stock. What do I do? I went to the store to make my own chicken stock. Yeah.. Sometimes it is a problem. A time consuming problem! Other than that, the result of doing everything homemade is delicious  and rewarding. 

I have to gush about my husband. First off, I'm incredibly proud of him for actually going paleo with me. He's did his best to be supportive, even if he slipped every now and then. I'm still grateful for his support!

Soooo… Confession! Today I broke the paleo diet. We discussed what would be best for the both of us, and we decided that eating whole (in his terms, "healthier," but I'm aiming for whole!). I at least made it to day seven. It was hard! One thing that I did notice was that I was less bloated during those seven days though. I'm really sad that I'm no longer doing it. These past seven days have really changed the way I feel about food. It's been such an eye opener. Next time you go to the store, and check if your sandwich meat has sugar. Almost everything has sugar. It really made me think about what was going into my food!

 

Juices are frowned upon during the Whole 30, but I did what worked for me. This juice was seriously so amazing. If you haven't tried Suja's juices you're missing out!

I love juicing. Although I haven't done it much this year. 
So a few weeks ago I decided I wanted a garden on my balcony. I went pin crazy! I talked to Kevin about it, and he said it was a good idea. I have brought it up every now and then, but I just assumed that it was one of those things that just wouldn't happen.

This morning Kev woke up early to go to Bass Pro shop, and a few hours later I get a text saying that I need to come back to the house for two minutes, because he had a surprise for me; I was able to leave for a little. So I come home and he starts walking to the balcony and I was kind of confused why he was walking over there, and for a quick second I was all, "my garden?!" but then I was all, "Nah, that's probably not going to happen." Low and behold, MY GARDEN!!!!! He never went to Bass Pro! He was getting the gardening supplies :)

I have to say, the garden was more of a surprise than him proposing to me! He's normally really bad at keeping secrets. I was so shocked! I was so so so excited (still am!), and I hope that I have a green thumb! Hopefully this summer we will have some tomatoes, jalapeños, squash, cilantro, and basil!

Thanks for reading this novel of a post! Gotta let everyone know I'm not dead though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment