Saturday, July 26, 2014

One Year

Fellow friends…


It has been ONE year. One year that I have been married to my other and better half.
We compliment each other completely. Kevin and I are best friends. Throughout these past twelve months, I have gotten to know him better.

Some things that I have noticed that make me love him more:

1. He loves Spanish music
2. He is a hard worker
3. He is dedicated to what he sets his mind to
4. He is one of my biggest supporters
5. He actually listens to me when I need to vent
6. He loves to help me speak and understand Spanish
7. He has goals that he is working hard to reach.

I am so lucky to have married my best friend. I wish I could put down into words how I have felt this past year. How many times can I put down happy? There's just so much that has happened, and so much that I am grateful for. Trials and great times, through them all I have been blessed with Kevin.


With many more years to come, I will be able to know him better, and love him more.
I want to give my thoughts about something that happened at work:

The other day I was giving a tour of the property (where I work) to a prospective resident.
They asked how much the utilities are. I responded with, "The highest my husband and I have seen our electricity bill is $150."
That amount seemed to fly over his head, and he laughed at me.
"You said you're married?"
"Yes, I am!"
"Ha, no you're not. You kids just like to say that you are."
"How funny of some people. We have been married for a year now."
He shook his head and said, "Shame."
Now this wasn't a shame that I'm taken, but the tone of disdain.


I have been lectured and told by so many people that it won't last. Why? Because I am young.
Marriage does not end because someone gets old.
Marriage ends because of selfishness
Everyone wants to be loved now, not just when they are young. What changes?
As we age, we find out who we truly are and grow as a person. I believe that.
Not only should you be defining who you are as a person, but as you grow, you should grow as a couple. You cannot let just yourself grow. If you start only looking out for yourself and wanting to get to know yourself better, include your spouse. They might know you better than you think. Once one starts having the "me" attitude and not the "we" attitude, is when the marriage starts going down. Consider the other person's thoughts and feelings on a situation. Although they may agree to what you propose, it makes them feel better that you thought to talk to them first before a decision was made.

 What good times have you and your spouse gone through? When and where was your first kiss? Where and when did you tell your significant other that you loved them? Restart the spark.

  • Read together
  • Pray together
  • vacation together
  • go on dates together
  • cook together


I will do my best to nurture and make sure that my love, and my marriage, will grow as time goes on. I hope that others will too. My heart aches for those that are no longer together, and I always wish the best. I certainly know for a fact though, that it was not because of age that marriage does not last.


No comments:

Post a Comment